Thursday, May 1, 2008

Bondi makes me homesick...

Dad and I arrived in Bondi on Wednesday after 11 hours of driving, two McDonalds pit stops, and 45 minutes of being lost in the city. Immediately, Bondi reminded me of Huntington Beach. The coast is dotted with surf shops, bikini stores (I found myself a $20 steal of a bikini), and hole-in-the-wall cafés and breakfast joints. The surf is awesome with HUGE 8+ surf.
Dad and I have spent the last 2 days just mellowing out, eating, and going shopping. The highlight of Bondi came tonight. One of the local surf shops hosted a “meet and greet” with my all-time favourite surfer, Robert “Wingnut” Weaver, the star of Endless Summer II. I couldn’t believe it! I have been trying to meet him for YEARS! Dad and I walked in and instantly Wingnut came over to us and said “CA locals!” (I guess wearing my CSUF sweatshirt helped). We then proceed to have a beer and talk for about 20 minutes. He signed my DVD, told me a few things about filming the movie, and even told me to look up a few people in the biz once I get home for future job prospects. We talked about my time in Wellington, how cool my Dad was for taking me on this amazing trip, and told us to “piss off” when we told him we were heading to Hawaii for two weeks. It was AMAZING!!
Tomorrow, May 2nd, will be the longest day of my life….literally. Dad and I have a 6pm flight out of Sydney arriving 7am in Honolulu, where it will be May 2nd again. Dad and I are both sick of eating out every single meal and living out of a suitcase. I guess that the price to pay for being a nomad. We can’t wait to actually sit out on the balcony, not drive for days on end, and actually use a hanger!

No comments: