Monday, November 12, 2007

ROADTRIP!

My American friend, James, told me a few weeks ago "Casey, I'm taking you to Napier because you need to see New Zealand. You are going to go home and tell everyone how great it is and truly, you're only seeing places that involve chlorinated water!" So, this weekend we headed off for the four hour drive to the east coast of the island to a town called Napier on Hawke's Bay.
James has to be one of the best road trip buddies I've ever had. We took the off-beaten path on the way to Napier and found great little roads with FANTASTIC views. We basically looked at the map and said "Lets take this road!" New Zealand is so green it is hard to capture in a photo. It looks like God just layed out a green blanket. And I now understand when people say "New Zealand has more sheep then people" they REALLY mean it! We saw white sheep, black sheep, brown cows, black cows, lambs, pigs, and roadkill....lots of animals here in NZ.
The random road where I learned how to throw a rugby ball on.
The view from the other side of the world.
Hahaha. I thought this was pretty funny considering the turmoil of our government in the US.


Now before you look at the pictures of Napier, I have to give you a little background info. Napier was destroyed in 1931 by a 7.9 earthquake that lasted over 2.5 minutes (oh, and 525 aftershocks in the two weeks after). Fires then broke out and burned for over 3 days. The town was wiped out. So, during the rebuilding process the buildings took on a "new", modern look and Napier is now OFFICIALLY known as "The Art Deco Capital of the World". Not having any idea what Art Deco was, I have to admit it was REALLY cool! It feels like you're dropped into the 1930's (think Downtown Orange....but a WHOLE town!). There are old fashion vintage stores and the town lays right on the water. The weather was great ALL weekend. YAY! I finally wore shorts!




I thought this was a cool shot of the fountain at night James and I went to the museum and learned all about the earthquake and alot about Maori history, walked the beach, ate ice cream, and walked around the town. We looked for really cool views, went exploring in the art deco suburbs, and checked out art gallery's. We also went to a "Pa", which is a Maori battle ground and fort. It was really neat looking at these pieces of wood that have been standing for hundreds of years.
"Mom and Dad, the Maori people caught me. Please send Del Taco and magazines."


On the way home on Sunday, we just drove. We headed over to Te Mata Peak to check out the view and what a view it was.

From the base of Te Mata Peak (over 100 Meters).
The View off Te Mata
Then on the way home, we took a 2 hour detour and discovered this beach that was just beautiful. It reminded me of Maui....long white sandy beach with green cliffs on the side. Now, if only I could be that warm!

Overall, it was an amazing trip and I want to thank James for taking me and showing me apart of New Zealand. I have a TON of other pictures, which I will make a part of my album when I get home. But in the meantime it is time for bed and work (*groan*) tomorrow. Sorry I'm not writing as so much. I thought I would spare you the yucky details of my job....you know, getting booger snot on me, being bitten, and simply exhausted all the time. NIGHT!

P.S. My ipod got wet last week. Just another electronic that hates me. It is now dead. Great. No music. May it Rest in Peace.

No comments: