Friday, March 21, 2008

Goodbye....

She had the thickest, reddish mane that would rival any sunset. People would admire her when ever they came near. The blue of her eyes sparkled as a reflection of a mountain lake. That’s how she got her name.

Over a decade ago, my family saved Tahoe from the Orange County Animal Shelter. When my sister saw her, she knew she was going to be our dog. She sat at the gate of her kennel for hours and while Tahoe licked her fingers threw the bars, my mom worked out the details. She hopped into the back of our red Jeep Cherokee like she’d been doing it for years and we took her home. What we didn’t know is she would save us as much as we saved her.

Tahoe was the greatest dog the Finnegan clan has ever had. She’s known me longer then most of the people in my life. I laughed at her as she shoved me out of my bean bag chair to make her claim on her spot in the house, purchased her a cheeseburger squeak toy on Buffett Day that ended up being her favorite, and cried into her mane many nights through my parents divorce.

Tahoe- you have been my greatest friend and companion a girl could ask for. I’m so sorry I couldn’t be there for you, but at least you knew I loved you with my whole heart. I’ve missed you like you wouldn’t believe over the last 10 months and will continue to miss you for the rest of my life. Thank you for always hogging the pillow at night and leaving your hair all over my clothes, especially when I wore black. Thank you for always chasing me around the house when I was in one of my “Casey Moments” and for always being my partner in crime. Thank you for always knowing when to cheer me up and for being the best cuddle partner on the face of the planet. Thank you for being you.

May your dog cookies be plentiful, your tennis balls tossed far, and your toys squeak loud.
I love you and will miss you now and forever.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love you too, my puppy... I'll miss you forever.

love, duff