Saturday, March 15, 2008

Really Disappointed.....

I have tried to stay up on current affairs of California while I've been here and all I have been hearing about is "soaring gas prices" and the hardcore whining that follows a headline like this.
I'm really disappointed in my fellow Californians. Being in NZ has made me realize that we have it EASY when it comes to gas prices. When I first arrived here I was paying $3.75 a liter (roughly $14.00 a GALLON). I couldn't afford it after about 5 months and I learned how to take public transportation, ride a bike, and walk to work.

Its simple business practice: Use LESS fuel and they will LOWER the prices.

Do other countries have it worse then us? Yes.
Do they like it? No.
Are they whining about it? No.
Do they change the way they live? YES!

They car-pool when they need to drive somewhere. They don't drive around and cruise for the sake of looking cool. They don't have SUVs (I can't even tell you the last time I saw a Ford F-150....a common sight on the streets of OC). And they WALK to the the 7-11, ice cream store, grocery store, Blockbuster, etc.

Sure, we can whine/demand/throw a hissy fit all we want but it's not going to change anything. We have control over what WE do, and that my friends can make a DIFFERENCE!!!

No comments: