Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Cheers!

Well, after a really LONG day of traveling (approx 26 hours), I am finally sitting on the couch with my flatmates watching tv. (CSI Miami, to be exact).

The flight really wasn't that bad. Yes, the food was HORRIBLE (roast beef for dinner, dry sandwich for snack, and burnt pancakes for breakfast), but the initial flight was quick and painless. I slept about 7 hours and my seatmates were really entertaining (We watched a few episodes of season 3 of 24 together on their laptop). Their names were Joe and Josh and they were on their way to Sydney to look for film schools. I also meet a kid named Cade who was on his way to study aboard. It was also his first time out of the country and we were both nervous wrecks. I hope, eventually I can meet up with all 3 guys down the line. We all kept each other company on a 15 hour flight.

I had a 3 hour layover in Sydney and I sat in the terminal and watched the sunrise. It was really amazing. I kept saying to myself "I'M IN SYDNEY!". I had this family from Auckland join me in waiting for our flights. They had four kids and they were a great family. Gave me a fantastic first impression of the Kiwis. They invited me up to their dairy ranch if I ever make it up north.

I flew into Wellington at around 3:00. As we were landing I looked out the window and there was the brightest, biggest, full rainbow I've ever seen in my LIFE! (Which was very calming because the flight was insane. I'm never nervous flying and even had a to white knuckle the armrests as the plane move and shook with the wind) The city actually really looks like San Fran...ex: Big building on water, houses small and close together. Haydn, one of my flatmates, picked my up at the airport and we headed right over to the Wellington Regional Aquatics Centre to meet my boss, Ali Hill, and a few of my co-workers. I had a fantastic welcome to a chorus of "Hey. CASEY!!!" and that made me feel really special. The pool is HUGE! I start training tomorrow....bright at early at 9:00am.

Haydn and I then went to the market, which yes looks like our markets, to pick up groceries for dinner and to get me some shampoo, conditioner, etc. We then proceeded to our place in Newlands, where I met my other flatmates, Frazer and Katrin. The area looks very much like Orange. Its VERY quiet. As I'm typing this the only thing I can hear is the wind. Haydn made chili and bread for dinner and it was the best meal I've had in awhile. Could be because I haven't had a decent meal in 25 hours AND that its freezing cold and chili and tea hit the spot.

My flatmates are really nice. I think Katrin is happy to have another girl around. Frazer is head of the lifeguards at the pool I'll be working at in Wellington, Haydn works as instructor at another community pool, and Katrin is a lifeguard at the same pool Frazer and I will be working at (she is also in nursing school). They are all very mellow and I hope I didn't scare them off with my nervous chit-chatter.

The house is two stories. There is two bedrooms one the first floor (one of which is mine, the other is Haydn's), a office, and a sitting area attached to the kitchen. Upstairs is a loft area to watch TV and Katrin and Frazers room (they have been dating for 2+ years). The place is VERY cold, as 99% of the houses in NZ don't have central heating/AC. My room is small but not horrible. Jim, my other boss/boss from ELMO, got a bed to my roomies about 2 days ago because he felt bad about me sleeping on the floor. I have a closet, a mirror, and it has 3 windows. I need a dresser and hangers, and Katrin said we can go look at a IKEA-esque place called the "Warehouse" (think the Target of NZ) on Saturday.

Currently, I'm waiting for Haydn to come back from a meeting because I left a bag with my flannel sock monkey pjs in it. Tomorrow I take on the adventure of grocery shopping and seeing Jim.

I miss everyone lots. Saying goodbye to my family had to be the hardest thing I've ever had to do. But I know this trip is the best thing for me and myself and my future.

Just so you all know, my computer is having issues connecting to the wireless (something about the IP address.....BRIAN?!?!? jk) so I'll be using Haydn's computer till I can (or someone else) can get it up and running.

CHEERS!

PS I hoping that it clears up in the next few days so I can 1) get some sunshine and 2) see some stars and the southern cross.

PSS It is SOOO Green! The water is a blue I've never seen before, even in Hawaii. And the Sky is so clean and clear. It really is amazing. Now...if it could only be 75 degrees, I'd be SET!

1 comment:

Kindra said...

My computer is still down too. Brandon is trying to get a hold of someone to fix it, but I'm getting REALLY impatient!!!!