Friday, July 13, 2007

It's a beatiful day. Not a cloud in sight. I think I'm gonna be alright!

Today, after two days of wind and rain (wind strong enough to knock our Internet out), I woke up to the first blue NZ sky I've seen. IT WAS SO STUNNING!! This country is truly amazing. I was walking around in jeans and a long-sleeve shirt (which I got teased for "Awww CALIGIRL! A t-shirt would have done just fine!"). It was about 53 degrees but a total cloudless sky. It felt like a perfect Northern California winter day. :)


Last night, Haydn took me to this Mongolian BBQ (All-You-Can Eat! I was stuffed after 3 bowls...mmm!) place in the heart of Wellington city. He extended an invitation with some of his work buddies from the pool I'm training at. It was hysterical. Kiwis are very humorous, love to laugh, and LOVE to tease. They had no problem with me joining, as their attitude is very much the more the merrier. By the way, Kiwis tease you when they like you. THE LIKE ME ALOT! Jim, my boss from EL MO, showed up from the airport (he was coming from the south island) towards the end of dinner. It was so nice to see a familiar face and a familiar voice (one where I don't have to guess what they are saying because the accent is so thick.) Haydn, Jim, and I then proceeded to a local pub called Mortheith's to enjoy my first NZ brew and to watch Women's NetBall on the tellie! (Netball...think WNBA). I then came home and slept through the whole night.

This morning I woke up at around 8am and proceeded to Haydn's pool to get in the water for some on-hands training. It was ALOT of fun. I forgot how much I miss being in the water with the kids. Actually, I sorta ended up training my trainer (they don't nearly have the training the Australian Swim School gave me....They are usually in the pool after a quick CPR class and a couple hours of hands-on instruction). Haydn wants me to give a workshop on better technique and reason why certain drills are used. He also said I'll probably be the best instructor at WRAC (the main pool I'll be teaching at). It was really nice to pass their expectations and to know I'll do okay in the teaching department.

The kids are ADORABLE! They are extremely polite and quiet but once I made them laugh they open up. I had one girl in the first class I assisted in ask me (in her NZ accent) "Are you going to be my teacher during term?" It broke my heart to tell her "No. That I have to help other kids" and she gave me hug a hug goodbye. So CUTE! The kids also have alot more freedom in the pool and the instructors are really relaxed in their teaching methods. Not all the drills have to be perfect. I know I'm going to struggle with this aspect because the Australian Swim School was all about 100% perfection....to the point that was it was annoying! (Duff- you would LOVE teaching here. Every time I had a class today, I thought of you and how much you would enjoy this.)

So after training, Haydn took me to get my bank account so I can start getting paid (WEE!) for training. All banking is done electronic here. Its really nice, actually. No paper statements. Just one card and website does the trick. After that, we walked around Johnsonville (the town with the pool I'm training in and just south of where I'm living). It is really cute, and because it was a STUNNING day, it was nice and a ton of people were out biking and walking. Haydn then went to the bakery to get some "pies" (I'll explain later) for his instructors because it's their last day of Holiday break.

So, we headed back to the pool and the instructors (all girls, ages 16-20) sat around eating "pies" (Think chicken pot pies BUT BETTER!! They have steak and cheese in them and served warm!) They were asking me questions about the States and freaked out when they found out I lived in "THE OC" *rolls eyes*. I then disappointed them in telling them they didn't even film the show in Orange County, and Laguna Beach (the MTV show) accounts for about .1% of the population of Orange County. (By the way, the LOVED my Tropical Twist Gum...haha. Please send more!!) The girls really like me and asked me to stay at the Johnsonville pool. Maybe, if I don't like the size and impersonal ways of WRAC, I might transfer.)

Haydn is by far been my greatest allie. He has driven me around, answered my questions, given me driving tips, helped me grocery shop, gone with me to the bank, and just made me laugh. He is a great guy from Winchester, England. He understands what it's like to be in a new place, not knowing anyone. He has really helped me adjust to being here. I am blessed to have him around and willing to help.

So, after training, Haydn dropped me off at home where I quickly changed before Jim came to pick me up to look at a house for him and his wife (their house sold in less then 2 weeks. I KNOW! I couldn't believe it either!) and to head up to the pool at Raumati. The house was really nice with not one, but two great views of the a bay and the Pacific Ocean. View in the back and the front. I would have purchased it in a heartbeat just for that alone, but it wasn't what Jim is looking for.

After that, Jim and I made the 30 minute drive up Pacific Coast Highway 1 (yes....just like CA) to Raumati and it had to be one of the most beautiful drives I've ever seen. It made me want a video camera so I could show everyone. It was crystal blue sky and water, rocky coast line, and a couple of islands doting the coast. The sun was so bright that I had to cover my eyes, even with sunglasses. The view was so clear you could see the South Island (which Jim says is really rare). I finally saw sheep!! Coastline on your left. Hilly farmland on your right. Jim kept laughing at me because I was excited "AAH! SHEEP!" "MORE SHEEP!" "WOW! I'm IN NEW ZEALAND!!" Anyways, I get to make this drive everyday so this will definitely be "ME TIME." Relax. Enjoy the view. Listen to some music (Buffett will be PERFECT!).

We arrived at the pool in Raumati and it is right on the coast (it is a 50 yard walk from the pool front door to the beach). Jim took me upstairs where a restaurant called the "Waterfront' sits above the pool. I then proceeded to meet the President of the club team which I will be working for. It was really intimating because I had no idea what my job title was or what I'll be doing. I'm considered a Head Coach for the pool and I even have a few high school kids under me as my Assistant Coaches. I'm still Jim's Assistant Coach but basically I have about 40-60 kids a night from 5-7pm and I administer drills and keep the kids moving. (After the meeting I ran down to the beach and snapped a few pictures of the sunset. Some of the brightest colors I've ever seen. The pictures don't express how amazing it truly was. I will post the pictures as soon as I collect more on my camera.)

After practice, where I met a few of the kids, Jim took myself, Chris (another coach from CA), his cousin (Seko, female and same age as me), and Seko's boyfriend, to an Asian fusion restaurant called "The Monsoon". The food was FANTASTIC!! I had buttered chicken (think curry). We then walked a few blocks to a pub called Molly Moldones for a drink and to tell funny stories and have great conversation. Chris and Seko's Boyfriend then had to leave so Jim, Seko, and I walk to another pub called Kitty O'Shea to check out a really great 90's cover band. It was fun to see what the city looks like on a Friday night. I'm working so much so I know I won't even get near the city anytime soon, so it was really nice to enjoy an evening out and to make some new friends.
(By the way, at the right everyone is feeding me I'm going to be a fatso when I get home. The food is increditable here, and I haven't even had lamb and Kiwi pie yet!)

I'm now sitting here, answering some emails. I get to sleep in tomorrow (GOODIE!) and play around the house in the morning. Jim is picking me up for a swim meet so I can keep him company and then he is taking me to go see Harry Potter (even though I haven't seen the other ones) at this theater called the Golden Lounge. This place is amazing, from what I heard. It has lazy boy chairs and you can order WHATEVER you want, when you want it. You want chocolate cheesecake? Done! You want a glass of wine every hour? Done! It is about 30$ a ticket but it is all you can eat, drink, and enjoy. (WHY DON'T WE HAVE THESE IN THE STATES?!?)

Thank you for reading this LONG blog. I've done alot the past couple of days and its hard to pop on the Internet for 5 or 10mins like I did at home. I actually have to make time to sit down for a few hours. I start work on Monday so it will even be harder but I will have the evenings off (but a whole lot that will do being it will be 1am your time). Anyways, LOVE YOU ALL!!

No comments: