Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Do I really sound FUNNY?

First off, I want to say "Congratulations" to Kindra and Brandon on their ENGAGEMENT! I'm so ecstatic for you both and I'm so proud of you B! You pulled it off. I love you both and I'm so giddy that when I read the message I jumped off the coach and started jumping around my flat. I definitely scared the flatmates...but it was WORTH IT! WEEE!!

Work has been fantastic. At WRAC, the instructors have been testing the school children to see what level they can go in for next week. You basically walk up to five kids and say "Come with me." Then the conversation goes as follows:
ME: Hi. My name is Casey. I'm going to be testing you today.
KID: *in Kiwi accent* You sound funny. *giggles*
ME: Well, I guess I do. Where do you think I'm from?
ALL THE KIDS: AMERICA!!
ME: That's right. So I guess I sound funny.
KIDS: NO. We like you. You are cool.
(now multiple this conversation by about 10 times today.)

So I guess an American accent= Sounds funny but cool. The other instructors say I have a one-up on them because the kids will focus on me better because "I sound funny." My co-workers are great. They spent the first 10minutes in the office asking me to say words, explain CA slang, ogling at my bright blue pedicure, my tan, and then my tattoo on my ankle. They are all good natured and we spent a good amount of time between testings telling stories, making each other laugh, and being silly. The lifeguards, I guess, have been admiring me from afar and asking about "the new California girl." Haha....It is kinda strange to be known for a PLACE you are from, but I gotta admit, if it helps people remember who I am and what my name is, I'm all for it! (oh, and they are PAYING us to swim. I was planning on swimming a couple times a week anyways and then today at the staff meeting the boss, Ali, told us they will give us $15 an hour to swim. HAHA, DUFFI!)

The coaching at Raumati is pretty much like swim team but for 10-13 year olds. I'm in-charge of about 100 kids throughout the week. (Some come for 30mins MWF or TTH, others come for 90mins MWF or TTH, and even others come 90mins M-F....it is hard to explain in detail but I do have my hands FULL!) Then on Tuesday nights, Raumati offers a one hour community swim with 6 different levels all coached by volunteers. I am a deck supervisor during this time and basically just go around helping the instructors if they need it. Then Jim opens up the pool to anyone that wants to play water polo till 9. WHEW! It is a LONG day! (I went from 8am-10pm today)

So my schedule is pretty much
WRAC: 9am-3pm M-SUN (Thursday OFF)
Raumati: 5-7 M-F (Tuesdays 5-9)

I also had my first driving lesson with Jim tonight. The forty minute drive from Raumati back to my house in Newlands. IT WAS SO STRANGE!! I kept reaching to the left side to hit the blinkers (they are on the right). Jim thanked me repeatedly for cleaning his windows with the windshield wipers. It was also quite interesting to hug the middle of the road on your right...not left. Oh, and then there is round-abouts. WHEW! Jim kept telling me "Casey, it's 100kph here...not 70mph. That old lady just passed you." But all joking aside I did a good job. I will be driving more before I get my car maybe Sunday.

That's about it. I'm exhausted. So I'm heading to bed, with a big grin on my face.

Pictures to come:
Co-workers
My room
My car (when I get it)
My ugly bright orange uniform!

CHEERS!

7 comments:

Van said...

Well, Casey, I finally found your blog. (If you've got an RSS feed going, I'll subscribe to it.)

You didn't have to go all the way to NZ for people to tell you that you sound funny. I could have told you that! (Ba-ja!) ;)

Anyway, sounds like you're having a blast. Stay safe. Look both ways when crossing the street, and remember the cars come from the right first!

Stay in touch, my waterlogged cousin!

Van said...

Oh, hey, weren't you afraid if you jumped off the coach you might get hit by a car??? ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Casey, You are a dork... Love, Butt-Head

Anonymous said...

Cut it out, you two! Jeez, even from opposite sides of the earth you figure out a way to fight. It's not like I can send you to seperate corners!
Love, MOM

Kindra said...

Thanks for the congrats! I miss you!!!!!!!