Friday, February 1, 2008

"Seven? Seven of what???"

There is a HUGE international tournament this weekend going on at the stadium. It's called "Sevens" and the games consist of two 7 minute halves and its just continuous rugby. But that is not the strange part. The city has gone CRAZY!! People dress up for the games in weird costumes (Spartans, cat woman, angels, Speedos, farmers and animals, etc) and they just dance and party for the whole weekend. I am avoiding town tonight because it's suppose to be NUTS!! It sounds like something I would have totally been into if I only had known what SEVENS was 3 weeks ago! I would have gone in a parrot costume. At least it would have been my dedication to Jimmy Buffett. (It's also really weird having Rugby teams come in. I met the Hong Kong team today....and they were all Caucasian. Go figure!)

The Elvis Impersonation concert last night was a total blast and not as cheesy as one might seem. There were 3 backup singers and 11 piece band to back up the kiwi-pelvis shaker! The weather has been in the high 70s/low 80's during the day and really clear and warm at night so it was nice to lay on a blanket, laughing with my friends, and listen to all the hits of "Elvis". The humorous part of the whole evening was "Elvis" pawning off his tribute album to the audience. I couldn’t help but giggle as I stated "....or you could just go to the Borders bookstore up the street and get the real one!" It was truly a great evening!

Cathy and I are also trying to walk at night and she has taken me to some amazing views over looking the city. It's a really good work out and at least there is a reward at the end!

Last, I am officially done with the Holiday Program. I am no longer a babysitter!!! WEEEE!! I start my last term here in NZ on February 11th and will end on April 17th (I'm taking the 18th off to pick my dad up from the airport and celebrate his BIRTHDAY!!! Cool!)

Now I must depart and go explain baseball to my roomies so they can understand the movie "Fever Pitch" and why this movie was so awesome and the whole curse of the Red Soxs. BYE!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just let your friend know that in actuality, there was no curse, the Red Sox just sucked for all those years! =)