Saturday, September 1, 2007

Father's Day....in September?

Happy New Zealand Father's Day! Yes, I called my dad and left a message. Hopefully, before I have to go back to the second part of the swim meet I can Skype with him. I also wished my boss, Jim, a happy pseudo-Father's day, because he's the closest thing to a dad that I have here.

The Wellington Short Course swim meet is going really well. Alot of our kids are getting Personal Best times (PB, for short). My kids are dropping times like they are hot. It's alot easier to enjoy the swim meet without a migraine. It is also a really great bonding experience between the coaches and athletes, we share music, food, stories between events. The kids have a really unique sense of humor and they are teaching me how to say words properly...."Casey, it's not BAA-NA-nas. It's Bun-anas." (bananas)

I FINALLY got Mexican food. My American buddy (Shout out to JAMES! HONK!) met up at Courtney place yesterday between sessions and went to Sweet Mother's Kitchen. I had a Feta Cheese and Spinach Quesadilla (or as my sister would say "Case-a-dilla") and chips and guacamole, which tasted like it came out of the can. In all honestly, you could have given me a cold gas station burrito and I would have been ecstatic! Hey Carly, I really think there's an open market for a Del Taco here.

McDonald's is so yummy here. After 6 weeks in New Zealand, I finally caved and got some today because who am I kidding....when did I have time to grocery shop in the past 2 weeks? (I'm going tomorrow between WRAC and Raumatic) I ordered the Big Mac combo. First off, it tasted really fresh and their medium size is the US size small. Second, it was really strange going the OTHER way through the drive-thru. Overall, I was really impressed. It doesn't mean I'll be getting Mickey D's every week, but maybe once every months.

I also weighed myself on Friday for the first time since July 7th (right before I left the states)... 170 pounds! I was 182 when I left. I probably weigh less then that too because I got on the scale after lunch and with jeans and a sweatshirt on. I haven't been under 170 since high school. YAY! Go ME! Too bad my skinny going out jeans look like guy pants on me. I lost what little booty I had.

About five of my co-workers were also really impressed with the way I swim 3-4 times a week. So, I started the "Instructor Swim" and we swim M,W,F for a half hour. I give the sets and the times and it is actually alot of fun. We laugh and make-up strokes. Jo, one of my co-workers/friend, has never had experience swimming so I've been working on her stroke and breathing with her. We only do about 1200 meters but some of them are just starting out. I'm hoping we can get to 2000 meters sometime in the next few weeks.

I want to wish Grandma Triplett a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope you have a fantastic day and that it isn't to hot so you can get a birthday round of golf in. I miss you and love you! *hug*

Cheers,
Casey

1 comment:

Van said...

McDonalds seems to taste good in every foreign country. I think that's due to a number of factors, including that you work up a good appetite when you're traveling away from home, you haven't had a good fast food hamburger in a loong time, it's comparatively cheap, and it's a little touch of home that you subconsciously crave. When I was in the UK I went to McDonalds probably a dozen times in 2 months, whereas back home I never have a craving for it and probably darken Ronald's doors once a year or less.