Wednesday, September 12, 2007

An International Perspective on September 11th.

As an American, 9/11 will live on forever. Everyone know where they were, what they were doing, what was said. We all have our story. The haunting television footage, how united we felt in the days that followed, and the fear that we still have when we hear a plane over head...these things will never be forgotten.

I was a freshman in college, playing water polo, and living the 18-year-old dream. When those towers fell, it changed everything. It wasn't just the day I told Coach Don to go "F$&@" himself and his three hour afternoon practice...it was the day that changed the way I viewed our safety and opened my eyes in realizing America isn't liked by every country.

In the past few days my flatmates, co-workers and friends have discussed what happened on 9/11 in New Zealand and in Great Britain. It was evening when live television feeds broke scheduled broadcasting. They sat and watched the second tower get hit, as the Pentagon burst into flames, and as thousands of Americans died. They stayed up all night. They watched television for days. They cried for us. They thought of us. They prayed for us. Peter Jennings was right...it was the "day that the world stopped turning" and for the past six years I thought otherwise.

For the past two days, I have thought of that retched day. The day that will live on for years. The day I will tell my grandchildren about, as our grandparents tell us about Pearl Harbor. But when I tell them that "it was the day that world stopped turning"...I will know it was true.

My thoughts and prayers to all my fellow Americans at home and around the world. May we always remember what sacrifice was made and we continue to remember and pray for the families that were effect by September 11, 2001. We will never be the same, and neither will the world.

No comments: