Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A new level of hatred for cold toilet seats!

It was so clear and warm today! Not a CLOUD in the sky and it was toasty as summer. Okay, so I'm exaggerating that last part but it was still really nice. However, do you know what a cloudless, warm day means? A clear, cold night. And it just isn't cold...."It's bloody cold!" says Haydn. I even experienced my first frozen windshield this morning. Who knew my to-go mug of scolding hot tea could also work as an ice melter! Haha!

I have been working. What a surprise! Something different for Casey and her new New Zealand life. (I did get to pick my hours for next term for WRAC. *crosses fingers* Saturday, Sunday, Monday OFF!)

So, I'm going to write about some other things I've noticed since my arrival. Everyone really like the last post that I did for that, so here is another one:

Stars:
The other night I bundled up, grabbed a steaming cup of tea, and stood on our back patio to look at the stars. I could see the milky way, the southern cross, and even a couple of meteors. It's very relaxing to know that even in a city/suburb somewhere in the world, a person can still see stars....at least until your flatmate locks you out, then it's just cold and stupid to be outside.

Gas:
Please repeat after me..."I, insert name, will not whine or complain about gas prices ever again!" The US has it pretty easy when it comes to gas. It is our monster version of cars that is the problem. I'm currently paying $1.53 a liter and 3.78 liters equals one gallon. That is $5.78 per gallon. I get about 425k to the tank (265 miles), and that is considered a "gas guzzler". (Filled up my tank tonight for $60.00)
The government keeps all gas prices the same at every gas station. It is really nice not to have to worry about Mobile being $0.10 more then the Arco across the street. Certain grocery store chains work with some gas companies, for example, for every $50 I spend at Woolworths on food I save $0.04 per liter on my next gas purchase at Shell.

Mail:
I want to thank everyone that has sent snail mail letters and care packages (Mom, Grandma and Grandpa Morrison, Erin, April, the Winklers). I really appreciate it. It is really nice after a long twelve hour day of not really knowing anyone, to walk through the door of a house that doesn't really feel like home, and a flatmate says I have something on the counter. In a world of emails, text messages, and instant communication it's nice to know someone sat down to write. I know it sounds strange, but it makes the world feel even smaller, even with the Internet. Thank you. (Also, thanks for all the AIM conversations, Skype chats, and emails....keep 'em coming! I answer them all at night before I go to bed so that I think about everyone back home while I fall asleep.)

One last, special message:
I want to wish Graham a fantastic HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I'm so sorry this wish is late, bud. I miss you and I'm so sorry I couldn't be there to give you a big boy birthday hug. (I'm sure your mom and dad will do it for me) I love you! I can't wait to see you. You are going to be so big when I get back. Be good!

That's about it for now. I have plans to go out to dinner with some co-workers on Saturday night and a big group of us is going to see Bourne Ultimatum at the Gold Lounge opening weekend (Aug 30). Also, next to WRAC is the Kilbirine Recreational Centre and they are doing a 70's Roller Disco on the 8th of September. I'm trying to slowly jump start my social life.

Cheers!

3 comments:

Marrisa said...

I started to read your post on 'gas' - it took me a while to realise you meant petrol!

Oooh and we are the complete opposite, we are absolutely spoilt with the petrol prices here. We are utterley stunned as the UK is just soooo expensive.

To fill up our little 1.2 car we had in the UK would cost £60 (which is close to $168 NZD), here we can fill up our Subaru guzzler for $70...its CRAZY!

I saw the signs for the roller disco when I was over at the pool the other day...looks like fun!!

Doc Nash said...

HAHAHAHAHA Petrol.....yeah casey, gotta get it right. remember. Flashlight is actually a torch (it doesn't flash, does it....thats the logic the brits, Aussies, etc use). also, its the Loo, ummmm and yeah, can't think of anymore, but i'll let ya know when i think of 'em

Van said...

Casey, I'm waaay behind on reading your blog entries. Trying to catch up now.

A BIG thanks to you for the birthday wishes, on behalf of Graham! He and Bennett really enjoyed visiting with you before you left for the land of the Kiwi bird.